Two Friends, Two Pairs of Socks and Two Amazing Museums

Blog Post 30 - Photo 1

Since the start of my freshman year, everyone–orientation Leaders, dorm-mates, a family friend, even the nice lady on the pier who happened to be standing next to me at the air show last summer—has resoundingly urged me to take advantage of being a student in Chicago and visit the Art Institute Museum. This experience is not to be missed by Loyola students in particular, as we have the good fortune of free admission to the Art Institute, all year round. Yesterday, finally, I fulfilled the unanimous advice of the worldly-wise and trekked downtown.

So, on a snowy Saturday morning, I, a third culture kid who spent my teen years on a subtropical island, put on two pairs of socks inside my Hunter boots headed off campus with a fellow Political Science major from Utah, warmed by the excitement of the day ahead. Our plan was to hit the Art Institute as well as the Chicago History Museum (they were offering free admissions for Chicago residents).

To get to the Chicago History Museum, take the red line down to Clark/Division. It is a ten-minute walk from the station to the museum. One of things I was delighted to have discovered about this museum is that they encourage photography within various sections. My favorite was the fascinating train exhibit, where one particular section featured the famous Pullman cars. On display was an actual train car that visitors can enter to experience being inside. It may sound childish, but I love interactive museums—they really do make learning extra fun. Luckily for me and my friend Victoria, one perk of being a student is having the prerogative to act like a kid, and we did, taking pictures of the beautifully preserved turn-of-the-century railroad cars with our 21st century smartphones. I was also loved the Lincoln section. It was mesmerizing and felt like I was walking into a fairy tale mansion.

Afterwards, we got back on the L and went to Monroe to visit the Art Institute. There were a multitude of exhibits and art displays that could fill up an entire day if you wanted to stay there. While I am definitely not an art connoisseur, for me, the modern art section of the museum was most memorable, which I especially enjoyed because they were more expressive and colorful, compared to the other works. I was also able to see several of Joan Miro’s paintings, an artist who was the subject of one of my high school art-research projects.

Tomorrow I plan on waking up early and heading to the Field Museum, another of Chicago’s landmark destinations. I thought it would be smart to take advantage of going there now, because it is free for all Chicago residents this month!

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset