Mister Cubs’ Monument

Mister Cubs’ Monument

erniebanks_0076

As I speed walked through the cold last week, I ran across this monument!  The monument is of the late Ernie Banks who just recently passed away of a heart attack.  I thought this was a very sweet gesture! It was right in the middle of Daley Plaza!  A great centerpiece.  Many fans were there taking pictures and talking about how he was the most popular player of the Cubs.

Whether you agree, or not, you have to admit that this was very nice!  As I walked past it, I couldn’t help myself to take a picture of it.  Even though, I was in a hurry all of the people, cameras, and ABC News intrigued me!  They said that it stayed up until Saturday, what would have been his birthday and the day of his funeral.

I quote CBS Chicago: “The first African-American player to suit up for the Cubs, Banks was possibly the best power-hitting shortstop of all time.”  Also known as “Mister Cubs,” Banks had many, many fans.  Although, we may have been too young to know about him, it made me smile that the first African-American man who played for the Cubs was so significant.

Interestingly, this monument was already in front of the Wrigley Stadium (I have never been to a game, so I didn’t know).  However, after Saturday it will be taken back to the repair shop for some damages; then, installed back to Wrigley field where Mr. Banks deserves to be!

As you can tell, Chicago always seems to surprise you.  There is always something to look at and its people are amazing!  Everyone was cheering and taking pictures for each other.  These type of moments are so memorable and remind me why I chose to go to school in Chicago.  There is so much to do and see; how can you not fall in love with this C I T Y!?