Sisterhood is Forever

Sisterhood is Forever

12604930_1145982675426555_7515176782414363959_o

Sorority recruitment is like no other student experience in college, or, for that matter, in life. It’s like a mini-version of speed dating and interviewing, except without the guys. At Loyola, Official Panhellenic Recruitment is a 4-day event that begins on Thursday and concludes on Sunday.

This semester, instead of going through recruitment as a potential new member, I was on the other side. Throughout the past year, my sisters and I have attended countless workshops and presentations in order to prepare ourselves for this annual event. These procedural “SOPs” allow each generation of sisters to continue the Alpha Delta Pi legacy and to share with next-generation recruits the principles of sisterhood and the enduring traditions that our founders worked so ardently to establish.

This past weekend, through over twenty-five hours of conversations with more than thirty people, I was given a chance to interact with girls whom under any other circumstance I would not have had the chance to meet. In one conversation, I discovered a classmate—that the person to whom I was speaking was also one of the students in my political science class. In another, I met an ad/PR major who had just been elected in the Student Government internal elections, a process in which I took part.

On one Sunday, I gained almost seventy new sorority sisters, whom I am extremely excited to get to know. Whether through leadership, academic excellence, service, and friendship, being part of a sorority at Loyola offers a unique opportunity to succeed through personal growth. Membership in social fraternities as well as business and service fraternities can be one of the most significant components to the overall college experience, challenging students to be the best they can by taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

Blog Post 54