Unsure about your major? Talk it out.

Unsure about your major? Talk it out.

Freshman year can be full of fun and laughter but it’s also composed of a new realm in academics. You are now entering a place that is no longer preparing you for college but is preparing you for life. It may seem scary but it becomes less frightening if you discuss your concerns with other people.

I began my Loyola at career as a Creative Writing major thinking that it was the only thing I could succeed at. I enjoyed editing, I could write a mean analytic paper on a book, and I could travel a path to a career or even to graduate school. It was perfect! I would be a journalist and I would travel the world. But, after taking a few classes I felt bored, I felt unenthusiastic and I didn’t feel challenged enough. It was like I was missing something.

In High School, I not only loved to write and read but I loved to translate Latin. I love and still love learning about the ancient world because the progress of the ancients still influences our world today.

After some urgings from a friend, I contacted Dr. Mannering who is the director of the Classics Department at Loyola and he agreed to speak with me about the possibilities that follow a Classical Civilization Major. I thought that the meeting would be brief and disgruntled, but we spent an entire hour in a thoughtful debate. The talk calmed my nerves and gave me the confidence I needed to succeed in the next few steps of my college path.

In college, there will be decisions and those decisions will be difficult. Just remember, you are NOT alone. Other students feel the exact same way that you do. Talk to your friends, your family, or even your RA. Reach out to a faculty member or advisor and tell them what is on your mind. Although they may seem very busy, most professors care about the well-being of their students and will make time to speak with you.

If you’re anxious right now, don’t be. Good decisions are not made immediately. Take a piece of paper, write a pro and con list, and stick it in a place you will see it often. Constantly add to this list, take away from it and calmly debate it when you feel to be in the proper mind set. It will take time, but you will find your true path eventually.

A lovely view from Loyola's Crown Center for the Humanities.
A lovely view from Loyola’s Crown Center for the Humanities. My new home.