Tackling November

Tackling November

Blog Post 9 - Photo 1

November is the best month of the year, because, not only it is my birthday month, but also it is the month for challenges, whether it be No-Shave November (Movember), No Makeup November, or a month of giving thanks. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt says the key to success is to focus on creating social value. This year, I have decided to jump on the bandwagon and take on some of these challenges, to make November 2014 a meaningful month, in my own soul-searching journey and in service to others.

The first challenge I am attempting is a November photo challenge called 30 Days of Gratitude. Each day, the challenge names a specific theme. As a participant, I will take a picture of something for which I am thankful, relating to that day’s topic. Typically, photo challenges are intended for Instagram, but I prefer to document my pictures in a photo journal app called Collection, which I definitely recommend as way to record everyday photo memories. I find that taking one photo per day helps me to maintain a more positive outlook—snapshot reminders of the importance of appreciating the small, but good, things in life.

The second challenge is the Get Fit before You Feast challenge, which aims for you exercise at least ten minutes a day and become generally healthier before the holiday season. This is particularly important for me, because I know that once Thanksgiving comes around, there is no stopping me from eating plates and plates of delicious holiday food, from roast turkey to sweet potato pie.

The last challenge, I’ve decided to create for myself, in the spirit of gratitude. Why not take the chance to become a better person as well? This month, I am going to be sticking to the TedTalk playlist “A Better You,” which is a compilation of videos that convey a meaningful message and motivational advice, which I want to follow and incorporate into my own life. My favorite video on the playlist is The Power of Vulnerability, probably because, as an introvert and college student, I can identify with it.

Although my challenges may not have as huge social impact or noble causes driving them, as Movember does (raises awareness for prostate and testicular cancer), I think that tackling personalized challenges are just as significant, and, I am quickly realizing, take no less will power.

Image from: http://mymindseye.typepad.com/blog/2012/11/november-challenge-scrap-a-family-recipe.html