Gala di San Valentino

Gala di San Valentino

At 7:30 PM on Friday February 24th, over 500 Loyolans entered the elegant ballroom of the downtown Drake Hotel.  Donning dazzling dresses and spiffy suits, Ramblers danced the night away in an evening to remember.

One of the perks of being a student at Loyola is having over 200 student-run clubs to get involved with.  Among the 200 clubs is Loyola’s Italian Club, called ITALIOLA. Every year ITALIOLA throws a swanky gala (defined as “a festive occasion” by dictionary.com).

This year, the gala took place at the Drake Hotel, located at the beginning of the Magnificent Mile.  One might guess that the prestigious location of the event would foreshadow the elegance of the event.  I can attest to that.  Upon walking into the hotel and back to the ballroom, I noticed the copious amounts of marble, pillars and countertops.  Lighting the way were sparkling crystal chandeliers hanging from vaulted that were accented by intricate molding.

After checking our coats, my posse and I filed into the dining room and then the ballroom.  The dining room was a dimly lit room full of tables.  This particular dining room was one of two, and was for all of the members of the ITALIOLA and their friends/dates. The general population, me included, could eat at tables stationed around the dance floor or in the other dining room.

At approximately 8 PM, the buffet was opened to all in attendance.  On the menu was numerous Italian staples, pasta, pizza, fine cheeses and dried fruits and the best cream puffs I have ever had. Because of Lent, I stuck to the meatless options, and the cheese pizza did not disappoint.  I made more than one trip into the buffet.

The main event began around 9 PM.  The dance floor was located in a long and narrow room, with marble floors and a column of pillars along each side of the floor.  In the front was the DJ’s table and on the sides of the dance floor were tables for resting and refreshments.

From the moment the music started playing, the ballroom transformed into a nightclub. Strobe lights and loud music shook the room and for hours we danced, spun, jumped and swayed to the music.  The music selection was varied, allowing time for salsa dancing and slow dancing.  By the end of the night, all of us sharply dressed attendants were frazzled and tired, but elated for having had such a great opportunity.  I am already looking forward to next year and I am thankful that student groups at Loyola go to such great lengths to make sure everyone has a chance to have a great time.