Shalom, Momma Gordon!

Shalom, Momma Gordon!

My mom has developed a bit of a reputation amongst my friends as our token Jewish mother.

For awhile at the beginning of my freshman year, whatever excuse she had, my mom would visit me – whether it was to drop off clothes, pick up old library books or give me copious amounts of food.

Typical picture of us

And it’s the food that my mom is really known for. Despite the fact that I’m well into my sophomore year, it still keeps on coming. I have countless stories of her peculiar culinary adventures, so I thought I’d share my two favorite stories from this semester:

The Bad Day Cookie Cake

Around Valentines Day, I was texting my mom (my friends often joke that I text her as much as they text their best friends or significant others) about how my forever alone status was making me sad. Afterwards, as I was reading a book, I suddenly got a text from her to go downstairs.

Confused, I took the elevator to the lobby, only to find my mom and her car parked in front of Fordham. As I approached, what did I find on the passenger seat?

A cookie cake.  A whole, completely uneaten, 12 inch cookie cake…that happened to feed my friends and I for the next week.

This is actually a real life comparison of the size of my head and the cookie cake

Pie in her Pants

This fall, my mom went through a “I must bake at least a pie a day” phase, during which she was baking pies nonstop. One day during this time in her life, she picked me up so we could drive out to suburbia for a doctor’s appointment. Being that I’m a nursing student, I was pretty miserable about being away from the IC and my other study spaces for the day.

While I was sulking in the car, my mom suddenly pulled over.  The next thing I knew, my mother mysteriously pulled out a homemade pie and two forks from…

…well, from I’m not sure where.  Only my mother could have the skill to stash a pie in her car, in preparation for any meltdown that needed to be soothed with food.

Since I STILL don’t know the original location of said pie, when I retell the story, I simply say that she pulled the pie out of her pants. That’s because a) alliteration is awesome and b) since I don’t actually know where the pie come from, it’s technically not a lie.

Wherever that pie came from, it definitely made my day.

(And it made the day of several of my friends, who got to enjoy the leftovers with some ice cream.)

Picture of the Cookie Cake – Attributed to Zelda’s Sweet Shoppe