“Being a Hijabi Reporter on TV is Not About Me, It’s About Shaping Perceptions”

Run Your World spoke with a woman within the Muslim community about the challenges she faces in the workplace. We asked Tahera Rahman to write a guest post about her religious views and how that has affected her as a Muslim woman trying to find a job. Here is what she had to say:

“My reporting reels started turning after 9/11.

I was in second grade and, like my fellow Americans, I can recall exactly what I was doing when that first plane struck the twin towers.

But unlike most of my fellow Americans, I can also recall all the incidents after that tragedy that continued to press upon me and other Muslim Americans.

As I saw, heard and felt the anger of many Americans toward Muslims, I started wondering how I could turn my sense of helplessness into helpfulness.

I started dabbling in writing and realized, over the years, that journalism might be the right fit for me. I thought: How powerful would it be if I could just be an American journalist who creates and shares awesome stories and who just so happens to be a Muslim?

For that reason, I’ve never seen my hijab as an obstacle but rather a driving force. It has created and defined my dream. It also makes my journey towards becoming a TV reporter harder, but I think it’ll also make the effects that much greater.

As an intern at CBS Evening News, one of my producers once asked me: If I had been offered my dream job—perhaps as a national reporter for CNN—but they asked me to stop wearing my hijab, would I do it?

I thought about it, then told him it just didn’t make sense to me. Because being a hijabi reporter on TV is not about me, it’s about shaping perceptions. It’s about opening up a larger conversation about race and religion in a nation where people who look like me now feel afraid to go grocery shopping or walk to the mosque or even go to school.

I wear the hijab because I believe it’s a commandment of modesty and identity from God. I do it to feel closer to Him. And although I haven’t accomplished my goal yet of being on air, this piece of cloth has already opened up so many conversations—both in an out of the newsroom.

As a producer now for CBS 4 here in the Quad Cities, I’ve been able to share more than just what hijab means, but also what it means to be Muslim in America today—the good, the bad and the ugly parts of it. And I think that’s important context for every newsroom to know as we release stories into the world that people ultimately depend on to mold their opinions and appeal to our politicians.

It’s hard to break the status quo. It really is. And if you want to do it for fame or fortune, I think your defeats will pile up and become burdens. They’ll weigh you down and you’ll eventually collapse from its weight. But if you do it because you truly think you have something small to offer the world, a voice that might make it a slightly better place… I think that fuel will take your dreams a long way.

tahera 1

How do women like Tahera inspire you? Comment below or give us a shout on Facebook or Twitter!

20 thoughts on ““Being a Hijabi Reporter on TV is Not About Me, It’s About Shaping Perceptions”

1. I never even really thought about what it would be like to be a Muslim woman trying to be an on air reporter. This was so eye opening and was such a great read. You are truly inspiring!

2. Thank you Megan! Glad you enjoyed the post! Look at our others and check out our social media @RunYourWorldLUC for more!

3. Kasie, it’s hard to be in someone else’s shoes, but Tahera explains it so well! Take a look at our other inspiring women on our blog or social media @RunYourWorldLUC

4. Thanks Rachel! Was there any part that really spoke to you? Take a look at our other posts and our social media @RunYourWorldLUC

5. Thanks Conor! That’s our goal here! Let us know what posts you like on social media @RunYourWorldLUC

6. This was very insightful. As a person accustomed to the typical news anchor I found her perspective very refreshing and think that upholding her values adds to her brand as a news anchor.

7. Thanks Mike! We also think it makes her unique! Let us know what you think about our other posts by tweeting us @RunYourWorldLUC

8. Thank you Tahera for your inspiring story! Let us know your thoughts on other posts on Twitter @RunYourWorldLUC

9. I think it would be great to see more diversity on the news. I hope this woman keeps pursuing her dreams because there aren’t enough people like her!

10. Thanks Michael, We think so too!Look at our Facebook @RunYourWorldLUC to see more people we featured!

11. Coming from a family with women who are very committed to their culture, I think it’s so great that she’s trying to break the norms in such a difficult field.

12. Thanks Anshu! We would love to hear more that you have to say about your family! Let us know on social media at @RunYourWorldLUC on Twitter or Facebook!

13. “Because being a hijabi reporter on TV is not about me, it’s about shaping perceptions. It’s about opening up a larger conversation about race and religion in a nation where people who look like me now feel afraid to go grocery shopping or walk to the mosque or even go to school.”
    This is so true and such a great point, I’m so glad it was brought up. The real issue at hand is that someone with the capabilities of being a great reporter is being asked to hide a crucial part of her identity. Instead of facing the fact that we all come from different backgrounds and identify with different cultures, our society would rather create molds in which diversity in religion, race, gender identifications, or sexuality do not have a place. I am so happy this woman stood up for what she believed in and didn’t compromise what is essential to her individuality. Great post!

14. Thank you for your feedback Nicole! We are so happy that Tahera is continuing to do her job and still stay true to her religion. Feel free to tweet us your thoughts on this post or others at @RunYourWorldLUC

15. I love that she is so true to her beliefs. It’s so difficult to do in the workplace. I can’t wait to see her break all those barriers and see her on TV! Thanks for the inspiring post!

16. Thank you Esther! We can’t wait for her to make it big. Let us know your thoughts on Twitter or Facebook @RunYourWorldLUC