Loyola was a gift I gave myself many years ago.

scps Centennial logoNewsletter_Alum 600x355This year marks the centennial year for adult education at Loyola and we are celebrating the anniversary by gathering stories of our alumni who want to share their Loyola experience, and how it has transformed their lives. SCPS changed its name a number of times but it has consistently served adult students.

The following bio came from Christine Raydl, who graduated with a BA in History from Mundelein College in 1984.

I first attended Loyola full-time in the early 60s, leaving to marry and raise 2 children.  When my children were teenagers, I returned to Loyola at the University College to complete my degree.  I never considered another university.

Living in the western suburbs, I took a train, a bus, and a subway to get to Loyola.  I had a large brace on my leg due to an auto accident which made this a problem, but not a barrier to my desire for the Loyola degree.

I was fortunate to take a class with an outstanding professor, Dr. Harold Platt. I changed my major to history and had him as a teacher afterward. Through these classes, I became deeply aware of the excitement of historical research and the completion of a thesis. In 1983 I was inducted into the Phi Alpha Theta honors society, Chi Mu chapter, at Loyola.

Moving to Dallas, I secured a position at the Annuity Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. The Vice President of the Board at that time told me that my Loyola degree was a factor in my hiring and was a mark of excellence everywhere.

After moving to Phoenix, I began to teach. The quality coursework I took through the University College greatly prepared me to teach. The knowledge and background of the American history courses at Loyola were the foundation of a successful career.

Through this teaching, I became a multiple honoree in “Who’s Who Among American Teachers.”  I am proud of this as you are nominated by graduating seniors as that one special teacher! I was first nominated in the mid-90s, the late 90s, and into the mid-2000s. Their congratulatory letters state that only 5% of the nation’s teachers are honored in each edition of “Who’s Who” and less than 2% are included in more than one edition. I was so honored three times.

Now retired and no long able to travel as I did, I am returning to the study of Latin I began at Loyola under the awesome Dr. Abel so long ago. Also, I am associated was a Benedictine community in Phoenix and am in preparation as an Oblate of St. Benedict.

I think what University College did best for me was to integrate the mature part-time student into the entire Loyola community. Teachers from all colleges of Loyola were available to me and I also received honorsThe structure of the University College offered me flexibility and understanding as a part-time adult student, aiding me in completion of my degree.

Yes, Loyola is an enduring gift I gave myself so many years ago.

If you would like to share your story as an alum, please email it to scps@luc.edu. We would love to hear from you.