Get (Yourself) to the Greek

Get (Yourself) to the Greek

Panhellenic recruitment registrations ends today, at 5 pm. There is a $25 fee associated with registering.

If you’re having trouble finding your niche here at Loyola, or just want an excuse to make a bunch of great friends, going greek is the thing for you.

While I personally will not be rushing (due to the amount and difficulty of the classes I’m taking, as well as a few other actors), I’m here to tell you why you should at least go through registration and the rush process.

You’ve heard it a million times before, go greek to meet your new favorite people. While no one can really guarantee that you’ll meet your new best friend, you will meet a ton of new people. Even at recruitment events you were introduced to a large number of your peers, and the whole process really encourages new friendships. It’s a wonderful way to meet new people with similar interests as you and make new friends.

If you don’t want friends out of this (I’m not sure why you wouldn’t, but who knows) then there’s also the “it looks good on a resume” deal out of being in a sorority or fraternity. Loyola’s greek life is very philanthropic, there is a heavy focus on giving back and engaging in the community, and businesses know it. The greek life on campus does not equate to the crazy parties and severe rule-breaking, gossip filled episodes of popular media. There are constant charity events and ways for you to help out and get some volunteer time on your hands.

I hope you all at least consider rushing, and find out the facts before you say no. I wish I could, but maybe next year when I’m not enrolled in the maximum amount of credits. It is a great experience, and you can make it whatever you want it to be, the level of commitment is absolutely your choice.