Second First Day

Second First Day

For most of the undergraduate students here at Loyola, classes resume tomorrow, as early as 8:15 am. It’s been a while since most of us have had classes, so here’s a short survival guide for your second-first day.

1. Set alarms. Seriously.
I have formed sleeping habits that are absolutely horrific over winter break, and I probably haven’t needed to get up before 10:30 for an entire month. Although a majority of college is an odd sleep schedule, it’s hard to get back into the groove of even weird ones. Set alarms to make sure that you’re up on time to get to class.

2. Pack your bag the night before.
I’m very scatterbrained in the morning, and it usually comes down to me grabbing my backpack or purse and heading out the door. Due to this, sometimes I forget very important materials, or I end up bringing my Arabic textbook to my Christian Theology class. Not a great idea. To avoid forgetting things in your morning rush, pack your backpack the night before.

3. Charge your laptop/electronic devices.
Nothing, and I meanĀ nothingĀ is worse than your laptop dying in the middle of class. Especially when you’re taking notes. Before you go to bed tonight, make sure that everything that you intend to take to class is charged. There may not always be an outlet available close by.

4. Eat!
Take advantage of the meal plan and of all the options that Loyola offers you. If you have earlier classes, the dining halls serve breakfast from the time they open until about 10:45 am. This usually features some kind of make your own omelet bar and a fruit/yogurt station. It’s pretty good, but if you need something quick on the go you can always just grab a cup of coffee and some fruit.

5. Get your books.
This is more of a general reminder, but please guys, if you have not ordered your books yet do so. While I understand wanting to know what books you actually need for a class before purchasing, most professors expect you to have them on the way if not in your hand the first day. Some give reading assignments as well right away.

I hope everyone has a good first day back and good luck!