Looking Forward to the Spring

Looking Forward to the Spring

Blog Post 19 - Photo 1

For everyone one else in the world, spring comes in March. But for those of us whose lives revolve around an academic calendar as opposed to a Gregorian one, the ‘first day of spring’ comes in early January. Spring is the season of new beginnings, including a new semester and new activities and events. One of the things I am most excited about is taking a different set of classes. Unlike high school courses, which typically span the entire school year, the college course menu varies from semester to semester, creating that out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new feeling that comes after every shopping trip, even if all you bought is a ‘new’ bottle of shampoo. I am extra-thrilled to be taking an online course on social, legal, and ethical issues in computer science because, not only is it about a topic of keen interest, it is my first online college course.

I also look forward to spring recruitment for sororities, and “rushing’ together with two individuals who have made a positive impact in my life at Loyola. The weeklong process will give me an opportunity to get a taste of Greek life on campus. Being actively involved in a sisterhood where everyone shares a passion for philanthropy is a social, yet service-oriented, endeavor I hope I can partake in.

Two upcoming trips will make even the end of Winter Break worth celebrating: the People’s Institute in February and the Kentucky Alternative Break Immersion in March. The People’s Institute is a social justice and leadership retreat sponsored by the Student Leadership Development and the department of Student Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. Even though I look forward to exploring insightful topics at the Peoples Institute, I am also excited to go to LUREC, because the dining hall there serves the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in the world! The ABI trip I will be attending encompasses service work, but aims to aid underserved communities by teaching participants, like me, how to apply science and technology through research and public policy to find sustainable solutions to environmental problems. I am grateful to be taking part in this particular program, as it connects both my majors.

In the spring, I plan on joining ROTC. In 2011, I attended a unique summer program, the U.S. State Department’s Federal Service Language Academy, comprising 21 days of intensive language learning with a military-style physical training (PT) component. The program emphasized mental discipline, physical stamina and moral integrity, qualities I hope to strengthen during my time here and which I believe are important for individuals as well as greater society. Ever since that summer, ROTC has been something I have always wanted to do. I am so fortunate to have the chance to pursue an interest I thought I might never have another chance at. Not only that, my school has a renowned ROTC training program!

Last, but definitely not least, I am looking forward to running in the spring senate internal elections of Loyola’s Student Government. I have always had a passion for politics and its systems, but unfortunately, missed the elections for first-year representatives last fall. I saw this however, as a blessing in disguise, since I was still transitioning from high school to college and already had a lot on my plate.

This spring is definitely going to be filled with activities and experiences that I hope will make a lasting impact on my college journey.

Image from: http://www.madd.org/blog/2014/2014road2.jpg