Millennium Skates

Millennium Skates

Since we’ve officially had our first snow of the year, (although realistically that was Halloween) it is beginning to feel more and more like the holidays every day. Although I am a Muslim and don’t officially observe any of the major winter holidays, I still get super excited for them each year. It’s a time when everyone comes together to partake in fun winter themed activities, like ice skating and gingerbread houses. This time of year unites people across the board, and that’s why I like it!

One of the main attractions of the holidays is ice skating. Every dang year, my sister tries to convince me to go with her to our local rink and try it out, and every year I refuse because I am extremely unathletic and scared of falling. However, I love to go and watch others skate, no matter their skill level.

Right here in downtown Chicago, there is one of most beautiful spaces to ice skate. If you take the redline to Monroe, turn left and walk straight, you’ll be in front of Millennium Park. During the winter months, the ice skating rink is open to the public! If you bring your own skates, it is free, but they do offer skate rentals for $12.

Regular Hours for the season are as follows:

• Monday-Thursday, 12 Noon—8 pm
  • Friday, 12 Noon—10 pm
  • Saturday (Through Jan. 4), 10 am—10 pm
  • Saturday (Beginning Jan. 11), 10 am—9 pm
  • Sunday, 10 am—9 pm

Special Holiday Hours:

• Thanksgiving Thursday, Nov. 27, 10 am—4 pm
  • Friday, Nov. 28, 10 am—10 pm
  • Christmas Eve Wednesday, Dec. 24, 10 am—6 pm
  • Christmas Day Thursday, Dec. 25, 10 am—4 pm
  • Friday, Dec. 26 through Tuesday, Dec. 30, 10 am—10 pm
  • New Year’s Eve Wednesday, Dec. 31, 10 am—8 pm
  • New Year’s Day Thursday, Jan. 1, 10 am—10 pm
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 19, 10 am—10 pm
  • Washington’s Birthday, Monday, Feb. 16, 10 am—10 pm

If you’re like me and cannot skate for the life of you, they do offer free skating lessons! No fear, you can fall with an entire group of people that know just as much as you about ice skating.

Free Skating Lessons

• Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, one hour before the rink opens.
  • Lessons will also be offered each day of Chicago Public School Winter Break, December 22–January 4, except December 25 and January 1, one hour before the rink opens.