Discovering Roma

Discovering Roma

It’s already been two weeks since I’ve been in Rome and it’s still so surreal. There is so much to do here and so many things to explore… it’s a little overwhelming! The first weekend Loyola had a mini orientation for us where we got to explore many of Rome’s wonders.

On Friday, we had a dinner in the neighborhood Monte Mario, where the John Felice Rome Center (Loyola’s campus) is located. It was probably the best meal I have ever had in my entire life. It was a three course meal consisting of delicious homemade bread, lasagna, chicken and mashed potatoes, and lemon meringue pie. I was full after the first course but it was way too good to resist, and being the huge foodie that I am I devoured all of it.

On Saturday we had the opportunity to go downtown to the main part of Rome where things such as the Roman forum and the Trevi Fountain are located. Loyola bought us all passes into the Roman forum and the Colosseum. Both were amazingly beautiful.

The best part about the Roman Forum was the many amazing views of Italy. From some spots you could see a clear view of the Vatican which was really cool. Here’s one of the beautiful views we saw.

The Colosseum was amazing to be inside because of all its history. It was crazy to think that people killed each other for fun back then. It was like a sport to them.. .which is weird to imagine. I could envision that as I walked around, because the Colosseum is still in pretty good shape, and you can see the stage and the middle where all the fighting took place.

Afterwards, we ROMEd around downtown. (Get it… ha) There are so many cool little restaurants and pizzerias. We did a little shopping, and got a ton of things for cheap because apparently January is the month in Italy where basically everything is half off. I was one happy girl.

The whole experience of seeing all the history and wonders of Rome was amazing. I absolutely cannot wait to explore more and discover everything Rome has to offer.