Experience and Empathy

Posted on: December 10th, 2014

Rachel Kelso (’17), Hunger Week Team Member, Loyola 4 Chicago Leader,  and ISN Media Team Member.

As a Loyola student, I got involved with Hunger Week after attending some of the various events at last year’s 40th Anniversary Hunger Week. Through being a planning team member, I have expanded my knowledge base immensely about hunger locally, nationally, and worldwide. This year, a fellow team member and I decided to partake in the SNAP challenge. For this, we had to live off the equivalent of SNAP benefits for the duration of Hunger Week. This was easily the most challenging week of my life in terms of hunger.

To read more about the experience, please check out her Hunger Week Blog!

Loyola University Chicago's Social Justice Web Portal is designed to provide a positive environment for the Loyola community to discuss important issues and ideas. Differences of opinion are encouraged. We invite comments in response to posts and ask that you write in a civil and respectful manner. Comments will be screened for tone and content. All comments must include the first and last name of the author and a valid e-mail address. The appearance of comments on the Web Portal does not imply the University's endorsement or acceptance of views expressed.