The Importance of Visiting Schools Part II

Visiting law schools is a vital part of the decision making process, and one that you may be willing to overlook, whether it be due to cost, time, or travel. It may not seem to be a big priority to you right now, whether it be because you may be thinking all law schools are teaching the same thing or the financial aid package might be too great to pass up. I urge you all to try to plan as many visits as practical and possible to each of the schools you are considering! You are going to be spending a lot of time there over the next three years and it’s important to make sure the school is a good fit for you.

Scheduling a Loyola Chicago Visit

For me, visiting Loyola was a MAJOR factor in making my decision. I had never been to Chicago and had been out of school for several years. Even though I had applied to numerous law schools, I wanted to make sure that I was picking the right one. My initial impression of Loyola, from the beginning, was great! At first glance, the building was beautiful and there was lots of sunlight coming through the windows (which was a huge difference from another school I had seen the previous weekend; there were cinderblock walls and very tiny windows—not welcoming at all!). The neighborhood was close to public transportation, there were lots of stores and restaurants, and it was so clean in the area the surrounding the law school!

The tour guide was prompt and extremely informative. She answered all questions and was very welcoming. Even though it was a Saturday, there were students on campus and all of them acknowledged the tour group with smiles and nods. I learned so much from the student perspective, which is really important to hear. Up until that point, the only information I had received was from law school representatives and the Internet, and it was nice to hear a fresh perspective. I highly recommend taking a tour of as many law schools as practical, to hear what the students have to say and also to experience the atmosphere of the school.  For me, as a returning student, it was reassuring for me to hear about the diversity of the class in terms of backgrounds, education, and life experiences, but also to actually see it firsthand. After experiencing this tour, and tours of other law schools, I had narrowed my choice down to Loyola and one other school.

Admitted Student Days: Discover Loyola

My decision to attend Loyola was solidified by attending their Discover Loyola Day for admitted students.  Through information sessions, a luncheon with potential professors, mock classes, and a student only panel, Loyola answered every question I had and some I didn’t know I had! Each of the students were there as representatives, and they were warm, welcoming, and smart individuals who offered their experiences and advice on the process. The mock class was interesting and painted a picture of what law school would be like once my required classes were completed. The school’s commitment to education and service was evident through everything that went on that day. During the Discover Loyola Day, I was able to see and observe the Loyola Law educational community, and I knew that was the community I wanted to be a part of.

Visiting schools does require time, money, and sometimes travel. It may not be possible to visit every school you’ve applied to or are accepted to. However, if I had not made the effort to visit my top choice schools I may not have ended up at Loyola and I think that would have been a huge mistake! Best of luck in the decision making process! We hope to see you this spring!

Jennifer, 1L

Jennifer N

Click here to schedule a tour, class visit or information session at Loyola University Chicago.

This entry was posted in Advice, Life at Loyola, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.