Student Spotlight: Brandon Fleming, Tax Certificate

I decided to pursue the tax certificate at Loyola after taking Federal Income Tax with Professor Kwall. I knew I wanted to focus more on the transactional side, so my initial plan was to take a few tax courses, just so I would understand the basics and be better prepared to practice after passing the bar. I never expected to enjoy the material as much as I did! prof_kwall_180Professor Kwall’s knowledge and enthusiasm were so infectious that I decided to focus on tax law.

For most people, the study of tax law is just a tedious scrutiny of an arcane set of rules passed by the government and intended to confuse laymen into paying more taxes. The same people believe that the practice of tax law is reactionary and only comes into play when the IRS audits an individual or company. However, tax law is not simply a study of the Internal Revenue Code (although that is a big part!). From litigation settlements, to business entity formation, and from estate planning to corporate mergers, knowledge of tax law is imperative. The tax courses at Loyola helped me discover that a focus in tax law opened doors, instead of pigeonholing me into a specific field.

The tax certificate program at Loyola is a wonderful experience that provides an opportunity to learn from the best faculty Loyola has to offer. Not only are the professors extremely knowledgeable, but they are invested in each student beyond the three years at Loyola. Because of Professor Kwall, I was able to land a prestigious tax internship that allowed me to gain valuable experience in the practice of tax law. The tax certificate at Loyola has been a great opportunity for me, and I would highly recommend it to any incoming student!

To learn more about a certificate in Tax Law, please visit our website.

-Brandon Fleming

This entry was posted in Academic, Certificates, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.