Zoombombing: An Inside Job, by Cat Bishir

I remember my first zoombomber like it was yesterday.

“So, I think we’re ready to go into breakout rooms now, but let me first explain the directions.”

*Ding dong* A student had entered the waiting room. Strange. I thought this student was already in the classroom, but here he was again. Must have fallen out? I pressed “admit.”

“So, for this activity, the person with the last name closest to ‘A’ will share the document to everyone in the group.”

A voice cut in, “I think you mean the person with the most re***ded last name! Ha ha ha…”

I couldn’t believe it. I had let in a Zoombomber.

I felt attacked. This kid had copied one of my students’ names so that I would think he was legitimate. Worse, he had used a discriminatory word in front of my brand-new students. In truth, he dropped a few “F-bombs” before I was able to remove him, but these honestly didn’t upset me as much as the “R-word.” How had I let this happen?

In a typical school year, I would have had plenty of time to establish rapport with my students. I use a variety of activities designed to foster community in our classroom. However, starting this year online, it has been difficult to cultivate a sense of belonging while we’re all staring at our own screens.

Now one of the first things this class will remember is that I allowed them to be assaulted by an outsider. Not an admirable start to our year.

Zoombombing 101

What is a ‘“zoombomber” anyway? The word is a new one, and one of the many not-so-charming aspects of life in 2020. “Zoombombing” derives its name from the video-teleconferencing site, Zoom, and happens when an outsider intrudes on meetings to embarrass or scandalize the unsuspecting guests.

Typical attacks might feature an unknown person using their microphone to spout profanities or their video feed to share pornographic or offensive images while viewers either attempt to look away or gawk at the intrusion. Public meetings varying from official government hearings, to school board meetings, and even one man’s doctoral dissertation defense have been interrupted by these gauche displays of indecency.

While zoombombing is happening in a wider public context, there is a particular need to address the impacts of zoombombing in schools. Because so many schools under COVID-19 restrictions are using Zoom to implement online learning, zoombombing is a daily threat. A quick search of the headlines shows a significant uptick in the number of stories about zoombombing attacks since March, when most schools retreated to remote learning.

Since this August, every teacher I’ve talked to has experienced at least one zoombombing episode. Some of them have been shockingly personal. In a department meeting last week, my colleague said that a zoombomber snuck into his class and made disturbing comments about the teacher’s children. Already a disruption, sometimes zoombombing can cross the line into criminal behavior. 

Zoombombing as Cyberbullying

Zoombombing is a new addition to the laundry list of online threats schools address. One of the key features of zoombombing is the often offensive nature of the material being shown or shouted. Teachers and administrators have high incentive to prevent these types of attacks on underage Zoom users. Nonetheless, teachers are finding it hard to prevent zoombombers from sneaking in under the names of their legitimate students.

How are zoombombers getting the links and names of peers in the class? Obviously, zoombombing is often an inside job. A student in the class is sharing codes or may create accounts on different devices to plague teachers and peers. A fellow teacher shared with me today that he received an email from a distraught parent saying that his son was being bullied in several of his classes. It seems that zoombombers were following the student’s schedule just to torment him. Zoombombing is another route to cyberbullying.

Taking Action Against Zoombombers

Technologies exist to cut down on the number of zoombombers gaining access to classrooms. Zoom has taken an active role by putting in place some virtual safeguards, from user authentication to waiting rooms, and these changes have certainly helped.

Additionally, schools and universities have gotten much more savvy about using the platform. Training videos help teachers use simple techniques to spot zoombombers before they enter and explain how to quickly oust them once discovered. My own zoombomber was on our screens for maybe 20 seconds before I sent him packing. Even so, a lot of damage can be done in a few seconds.

Administration has stepped up their investigations in order to determine who these zoombombers are. In our school, teachers have been asked to report the incidents in the hope of narrowing down which classrooms are experiencing frequent zoombombings. The hope, according to our Deans, is to determine which students are responsible for sharing out Zoom codes and encouraging these attacks. However, a punitive reaction may not actually help in these situations.

Administrators can help by considering a restorative justice approach to dealing with students who share Zoom codes. Instead of cracking down, or bringing legal charges against students, perhaps school climate should be addressed. Matt Davis, a writer at Edutopia, reminds us, “[restorative justice] programs have helped strengthen campus communities, prevent bullying, and reduce student conflicts.” As remote learning continues, restorative justice could help to rebuild school communities despite the challenges of COVID-19.

The Underlying Cause? It’s Personal.

Nonetheless, schools still need to address the underlying cause of zoombombing attacks. My guess? Zoombombings are likely caused by student feelings of anger and disconnection due to remote learning. COVID-19 has changed life as we know it, bringing on feelings of uncertainty and discomfort as our society tries to stay six feet apart. Zoombombing is another symptom of this larger epidemic, one that undermines our connections to one another.

That brings me to my top piece of advice to eradicate zoombombers from your classroom: Teachers, get to know your students. I admit, I don’t know this crop of students very well yet. I try to present a smiling face and cheery disposition as they enter my Zoom classroom, but how much can I really know them through this small screen?

Teachers who prioritize getting to know their students can likely prevent zoombombing by ensuring they have a strong classroom environment, even online. Make space for social-emotional learning time: create assignments like a personal introduction video or my “Get To Know You” Gameboard (*feel free to use it!). And when you view these activities, leave a personal message back for each student. Is there something you have in common? Make that connection!

Truly, zoombombing is personal. If most zoombombings are perpetrated by students already in the class, teachers have to make sure the class knows how much they care. To defeat these zoombombers, you need a “guy on the inside.” Guess who? That’s right, teachers, you!

Cat Bishir is a social studies teacher and a student at Loyola University Chicago School of Law and wrote this blog post as part of the Education Law Practicum.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.