My Neighborhood

By Angelica Lewis (Final Project for Spring 2010)

After a long time of thinking and reflecting on what is most important to me I’ve decided to complete my final photo project on my neighborhood, Gresham-Arburn. Born in the 80s’ and being raised on the south side of Chicago was always interesting. There was always something to do and a new adventure to partake in. Raised by a single mother and my grandmother in a home that was built and once owned by the great-grandparents.

However, in recent years with a downward spiraling economy many people have lost jobs and are constantly losing their homes. With hope in my heart and mind I fight to see the light at the end of the tunnel for my neighborhood. A place that was once the stomping grounds of my great-grandfather, grandmother, mother, siblings, and I.

Gresham is historic for its train and metric rail system since the time of the Pullman porters. The neighborhood was the beginning of a new start for Irish immigrates and blacks coming from the south in search for better jobs and schooling. My pictures portray a dark, but realistic side to the city of Chicago. The photos show a daily reality for many people who live, work, and try to survive in this area of the city.

The images are hard to take in at first and to the natural eye this neighborhood might seem lost and hopeless but after a few clips I see hope and a vibration. I start to remember the warm and misty summer memories that lurk in my mind. Memories of Bar-B-Ques, block club parties, and Easter day pictures in front of my grandmothers home. This is my Neighborhood and it will always be the place I was born, raised, and still love today.

This entry was posted in photo essay and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.