Free: A Giving Project

By Samuel McClain (Final Project for Spring 2010)

I have always found it frustrating and depressing how little interaction takes place between strangers in Chicago.  One day on the train I folded a piece of scrap paper into an origami crane and gave it to a complete stranger.  I began doing this regularly and found that giving a simple gift allowed me to enter into simple exchanges with the people around me.
I gave a paper crane to each person in these photographs.  Then I asked them about the greatest gift they had ever received.  Our exchanges were brief, but after each one I was given an image and they were given a small paper bird.  The small act of giving softened the guarded walls we all employ to ward off unwanted and uncomfortable people as we move about our daily lives.  After talking to each stranger I thought, “How refreshing.”

My project was an exploration of the idea of giving and interacting to and with strangers.  I will admit it was less about the finished project than practicing and experimenting with the methods used to capture images.  I have a very hard time getting enough confidence to shoot strangers on the street, and an even harder time walking up to them and starting a conversation.  My project was really about practicing street photography.

Each time I gave a subject a bird and took their photograph I learned something.  I would adjust my approach and the things I said when I introduced myself.  I also learned that I get really nervous when talking to people.  So nervous in fact that I didn’t even concentrate on taking an image.  I just raised my camera and clicked the shutter.   I got a lot more comfortable as I shot more and more people.  I also learned a lot about the kind of images I would like to capture.  When looking through the photographs I took I didn’t see any individuality of artist or subject shine through.  Many are just headshots and rely on the power of the story in order to resonate.  I now have a different idea of the aesthetic that I am aiming for.

This project will not directly add to my portfolio, but I learned so much from taking these photographs that my future photography will be forever changed.

This entry was posted in photo essay and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.