Amie B: Contemporary Choreographers

ballet

10 E Randolph is home of the Joffery Ballet right in the middle of Chicago’s Theater district. Walking by, I love looking up and seeing some of the world’s most talented dancers training in the window. With some dance experience myself, I have always admired the art of dance and loved the ballet. Unfortunately this is quite an expensive hobby and is usually confined to YouTube videos.

However, recently my friend sent me a link to Student Rush, where we were able to get $15 tickets to the “Contemporary Choreographers.” From February 12-28th, the Joffrey Ballet is premiering three contemporary masterpieces by Brock Clawson, Christopher Wheeldon, and Alaxander Ekman. While I can appreciate dancers movement and a beautiful piece, I am not cultured enough to know any choreographers, but I have to give credit when credit is due. Even though I was not familiar with these people, I was thrilled to be going to see anything put on by the Joffrey Ballet.

So Saturday afternoon we took the L, got off at Harrison, and headed to 50 E. Congress to the Auditorium Theatre. The historic venue, celebrating its 125th birthday this year, was absolutely beautiful. All we had to do was arrive to the theatre an hour early and purchase the tickets at the box office. Once we had our tickets we hung out in the beautiful reception area, which was full of mini-bars (though they did not offer Student Rush drink specials). Once we were able to take our seats, I was shocked at how close we got to be, orchestra seating in the middle. I looked up our tickets later; they cost $130 each! Needless to say we got a deal.

This show featured Contemporary Dance that developed in the mid-20th century. It is “more of a philosophy than a strict technique like ballet or modern, although it draws inspiration and steps from both” (borrowing words from the program here). In general it allows for a little more creativity and blending of different movements and costuming. For example the last piece had dancers running around in torn suites and the dancers had many different shoes. So a little less tutu and point shoes, a little more of everything and anything.

This type of show is called a mix rep because the company “presents a number of works by different choreographers” to depict a variety of styles in the same show. This is different from a program that has a single plotline, such as Swan Lake. The three pieces we saw were Crossing Ashland, Continuum, and Episode 31.

My favorite was Crossing Ashland. People in street clothes walked across the stage in the back behind a screen while dancers preformed in nude costumes in front. The idea was the dancers represented the true or naked selves of the people walking across the street. Half-way through, there was a scene of rotating pas de deux (duets). When the pairs transferred on and off stage, they would do the same moves and share that moment before moving on or off the stage. Continuum was so interesting because it was very slow intentional movements by the dancers and I couldn’t help but be in awe of the poses they held and the shapes they created with their bodies. Episode 31 was a little more on the wild side with grunts and shouting and dramatic lighting.

The Alvin Ailey 2014 North American Tour is also coming soon to the Auditorium Theatre and I cannot wait to go! Hopefully they are offering Student Rush tickets or else to the back of the balcony I go.

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B, Living in Chicago. Bookmark the permalink.