Amie B: Home for the Holidays

Thanksgiving is the calm before the storm. The week of Thanksgiving we go to class Monday and Tuesday and are off for the rest of the week. We come back go to class Monday and Tuesday again, for our final two days of class. Then finals begin the following week! So Thanksgiving is our last chance to be merry and see our family and friends before finals hibernation begins.

HH1

Donny, Jenna, and I united again!

While I did have to spend sometime studying and doing reading, I was able to participate fully in my family’s holiday events. Every year we go to visit my grandma in Michigan. My immediate family always arrives the day before Thanksgiving, so that we can eat lunch at the Macy’s and take advantage of all the great sales. The night usually ends with a bottle of wine at TGI-Fridays. This is probably my favorite day of the events because I get to spend time with my godmother and probably most loyal reader, Aunt Beth. Because she does not have a daughter, I have been blessed with a second mother and I cannot imagine my life without her. From dance recitals to college graduation to Vietnam, she has been by my side showering me with love.

hh2

Turkey perfection

On Thursday the whole family of close to twenty people arrives for the Thanksgiving feast my grandma has spent days preparing. While we were out shopping on Wednesday, she was in the kitchen prepping the turkey and making the stuffing. My grandma loves to take care of her family and make the holidays special. Her effort for days in the kitchen is a true labor of love.

hh3

The family at Zelders

We spend the Friday at a German town called Frankenmuth.  The town is always beautifully decorated for Christmas and is full of holiday spirit. We get a late lunch at Zelders where the servers wear traditional German attire (bonnets and all) and the Bloody Marys are spicy.  Everyone feasts on the amazing fried chicken wings and talks about Michigan State’s chances of making it into the Rose Bowl this year.

After a week of celebrating and a late night showing of the Hunger Games, the holiday comes to a close. A wonderful Thanksgiving, but it’s back to Chicago and back to the books.

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B. Bookmark the permalink.