Amie B: One Strange Bird

This weekend some of my friends from high school came in from the suburbs for a get-together and we wanted to do something special. Having all grown up in the suburbs, we love to take advantage of the opportunities the city has to offer.  After a little research, we decided to take a BYOB painting class! (Yes, we found it on Groupon)

The four of us hopped in a cab and headed over to One Strange Bird in Wicker Park. The cute shop sells artsy merchandise and offers a variety of classes for children and adults. Though, the adult classes get to bring wine.

Painting Away

Painting Away

The class included all painting supplies and a canvas. They provided the corkscrew and mason jars; we brought the wine and snacks. We popped open a bottle of red and launched into painting. The instructor talked us through a step-by-step process of painting a peacock, a very strange bird.

I am not much of an artist, but it was a fun, relaxing way to spend time with my friends. I was surprisingly pleased with how my painting turned out. More than half of people surveyed have been able to identify my painting as some sort of bird. The most common incorrect response is a bouquet of flowers, which are still pretty so I am happy with that.

Final Product!

Final Product!

After the class and in keeping with the theme of art and affordable drinking, we went to a BYOB Italian restaurant. We ordered some treats and spent the evening catching up. After, we headed over to a Halloween party. We went as artists. Then the four of us all crashed in my tiny one-bedroom apartment. People and stuff were all over the place, but a perfect way to spend a night in the city with my oldest friends.

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B, Living in Chicago. Bookmark the permalink.