Amie B: Legal Writing

Our writing class meets once a week for two hours. For 1Ls, all our classes are fixed. The school gives you a list of classes that your section is taking and we attend. But for Legal Writing, we have the option to have a special topic. I chose ChildLaw. While we are learning the same writing skills, our class just gets to learn them through children’s rights.

For example, all classes are learning how to write an in office memo for our make believe firm. So my “boss” came to our class with a potential case for our client Michael. Michael attends a public school and plays basketball. He wore an earring in honor of famous alum who plays for the NBA and is known to wear an earring as his signature. The school suspended Michael for imitating his hero. Michael and his family want to know if the school broke his first amendment rights. Every class is required to write a memo, but ours is on first amendment issues in the classroom.

Our writing class teaches us how to go about answering this question. We start by finding relevant cases, determining the implications of the rulings, and applying them to our case. While this sounds easy, it is in fact a little bit more complicated. Then once we think we are ready to give an answer to our boss on whether or not we have a case, we have to write the answer in a memo in a very specific format.

This class acknowledges writing as a process, from the research to revisions to final copies. First, we read cases and filled out a chart to pull out important information. Then we created an outline together in class and practiced topic sentences. After all the in class work, we will each write our first page and submit it to the professor. The professor reads our paper and gives us feedback. We then correct the first page and add more content and submit it for more feedback. Eventually we submit a full draft. This draft is worth 30% of our grade. Then once it is graded, given back, and reworked, we submit our final draft worth 70% of our grade. Overall, we are very well guided through the process.

Writing is my favorite class. I love the small classroom setting and the comfortable atmosphere. Our professor is so nice and she explains everything so well and really creates a great classroom environment. Our tutor is great at citations and an invaluable resource and energy too.

LW1

my quiche

One thing I especially like is that every week someone volunteers to bring breakfast. So class and a meal; I love it! Last week it was my turn to bring the food so I decided to make quiche. Never having made quiche before, things got a little messy and I may have set off the smoke alarm. But no need to worry they were actually very delicious.

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Academic, Amie B. Bookmark the permalink.