Amie B: Still get to be a big sister

For my loyal readers, I am sure you remember my little sister who helped me move into my apartment. Yes, the one that carried heavy boxes with my books through about six different doors. Well, this is not the first time Jenna has helped me move. As the youngest she has carried boxes, pillows, and refrigerators in and out of dorms, into storage, up to apartments, down to the cars for both my brother and me for years. So when it was time to move her into her dorm for her freshman year of college, you would think that my brother and I would be there to return the love through labor.

Unfortunately, we had already started school and couldn’t get away to move her in. All she had was my mom to move her in, compared to when I was moved in: a car for my stuff and a car for the people. Jenna didn’t even have very much stuff. The movers at the school said she had a record low amount for the day. Poor Jenna, always gets the short end of the stick. Because of my absence, Jenna did request that I at least come visit over the weekend and see her new dorm.

Jenna and I in her new dorm!

Jenna and I in her new dorm!

So the following weekend, I took the Metra home and my mom and I went to see the dorm. We took her to the store to get some necessities forgotten and some fun things to make the dorm feel like home. We treated her and her friends to a special lunch to get them out of the cafeterias. Overall, we had a really nice day together.

Though I could not be there for the actual move, I felt I was still able to support her through the transition. It was a concern of mine that once I began law school I would become a hermit in the library and lose all personal relationships. So far, I feel I have been able to balance both. I get to see my family frequently and I still manage to find time to get dinner and drinks with friends. So yeah, I still get to be a big sister. I probably won’t get the Labor of Love award, but I think Jenna knows I am here for her.

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B. Bookmark the permalink.