Student Spotlight: Natalie Wayne, Tax Law Certificate Program

My participation in the Tax Law Certificate Program has been both a unique and fulfilling experience for me.  It has been a unique experience because I have never wanted to be a transactional attorney.  While most students pursue the tax certificate in the hopes of complementing their focused studies of corporate law, tax law, or other transactional practices, I have always wanted to be a litigator.  And that is exactly what I’ll be doing next October when I join Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP as a litigation associate.  By completing the course work for the Tax Law Certificate, however, I have gained a specialized knowledge in tax law that will set me apart from other litigation associates.  Rather than beginning my career as a general commercial litigator, I will be able to differentiate myself from many of my peers because I am well versed in tax controversy and general tax principles, which are so often at the heart of many litigated commercial disputes.  Therefore, I recommend the Tax Law Certificate Program to any student who wants to start his or her career in litigation or trial practice because a particular knowledge of tax law can really separate you from the crowd.

The Tax Law Certificate Program, however, has not only helped me with my career, but has also been a very fulfilling academic experience.  I have never been a “numbers” person.  Thus, the whole idea of tax law initially intimidated me.  After taking my first tax class—Federal Income Tax—with Professor Kwall, however, I was hooked.  Professor Kwall has made tax law both an approachable and enjoyable subject for me.  I am continuously impressed with Professor Kwall, as well as all the other professors in the Tax department.  Their teaching skills and expertise in the field alone are reason enough for any student to pursue the Tax Law Certificate.

Natalie Wayne

This entry was posted in Academic, Student Spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.