The Importance of Visiting Schools Part I

When applying to law schools, I was mainly looking at schools in the Chicago area, but I also applied to a few out-of-state schools. The summer before applying, I thought I knew which school I wanted to attend but wasn’t completely sure, so I decided to visit all of the schools anyway. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I made in the application process!

Visiting law schools during the application process is important and can be a determining factor in deciding ultimately where to attend. There are two reasons I think everyone should visit schools before making a decision.

The “Feeling”

The most important reason for visiting schools before applying is that it can completely change your thoughts. I thought I knew exactly where I wanted to go to law school before applying. Then I visited the schools, and all of that changed. I visited a couple other schools in the city of Chicago but I couldn’t imagine myself sitting in the classrooms or hanging out in the common areas, and it made me nervous and feel as though I had made the wrong decision in deciding to attend law school. Then I visited Loyola and I was really surprised because I felt comfortable and at home immediately. The people at the Office of Admissions were so accommodating and the tour was fun and enjoyable. I could picture myself being there on a daily basis and I just felt like I belonged (super cheesy, I know). I still wasn’t sure because I hadn’t visited my number one choice, so I kept Loyola on the back-burner and continued with other visits. A couple of days later I was really excited as I walked into my “dream school”. I was soon disappointed because I felt uneasy and overwhelmed and really intimidated by the people I met. I quickly realized that what might seem to be a good fit “on paper” may not actually be a good fit. It turned out my dream school wasn’t really my dream school at all. The experience I had there didn’t even compare to what I felt at Loyola, and I knew I had a new number one choice.

It Takes Away an Unknown Factor

In the first day and week of school you have so many things and information being thrown at you. From all the information given during orientation to the readings for classes to trying to make new friends, there are so many unknowns when starting law school. Visiting the school ahead of time can help ease that sense of uncertainty.

Law school is completely different from undergrad, and most incoming students have no idea what to expect. How much work will I have to do? What time are my classes? These are just a couple (of the many!) questions you’ll have before starting. You can completely cut out one of the unknowns by visiting the school ahead of time and easing that sense of uncertainty. You’ll know where the building is located, how to get there, what the layout is like, and will be more familiar in your surroundings than many other students on the first day. You can then just focus on the things that are important because you’ll already know you’ll feel comfortable there.

Visiting schools ahead of time, as part of the decision-making process in determining where to attend law school, is really beneficial. It can confirm your feelings about one school and completely change them for another. Without visiting ahead of time, I would have ended up at a school where I was really unhappy. But, I’m glad I ended up at Loyola because it feels like home. I hope you can find a place where you feel the same!

Amanda, 1L

Amanda M

Click here to schedule a tour, class visit or information session at Loyola University Chicago.

This entry was posted in Admissions, Advice, Life at Loyola. Bookmark the permalink.