New Rhythms

Posted on: January 14th, 2014 by Megan Meagher

I can recall from my first few days of staying in Morocco as being characterized by a challenging new rhythm—rhythm regarding the schedule of my day (there’s a clear shift in Tangier, causing the city to come alive more so in the ladder half of the day, especially after sunset), rhythm in the way that I spoke, and rhythm in terms of a studying routine (so as to manage the too-few hours in the day for balancing coursework). Regarding our daily schedule, weekdays were entirely consumed with language curriculum, beginning with class five days a week from 9am until 1pm. Class time was directly followed by a big lunch and subsequent meetings with our professors or language partner until we reached time for dinner, leaving the rest of the evening free for studying, going to a café, wandering the city, etc. This was the typical pattern throughout most weekdays, with the exception of some lectures and cultural activities scattered throughout the week. The weekends, however, were devoted to more regional exploration, entailing small trips to neighboring cities from which derive most of my photos.