Archives

Categories

Tag Cloud

“Instant Message From Thomas J. Regan” – Phishing Scam – January 23, 2019

Posted on: January 23rd, 2019 by

Below is the most recent phishing email and website we have seen.  Similar to past emails, this scam attempts to trick users into entering personal account information (e.g. username/password). Users should not click any links in this email and should delete it right away. As a reminder, Loyola will never ask for your password or to verify your account.

If you have any questions about this or any email, before you act on the email, please call or email the ITS Helpdesk 773-508-4487, helpdesk@luc.edu.

From:*REDACTED*

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:12 AM

To:

Subject: Instant Message From Thomas J. Regan

Are you on Campus?  Are you Available?  I’m in a meeting right now and that’s why I’m contacting you through here.  I should have called you but phone is not allowed to be used during the meeting. I don’t know when the meeting will be rounding off and I want you to help me out on something very important right away. I need you to help me get iTunes Gift cards from the store, I will reimburse you back when I get back to the office. I need to send it to someone and it is very important. I’m still in a meeting and I need to  get it sent right away.  It’s one of my best friends son’s birthday. The amount I need you to get right now is $1,000.00, you should get a denomination of $100 each, that’s a total of 10 iTunes gift cards for $1,000.00. l’ll be reimbursing back to you. I need physical cards which you are going to get from the store. When you get them, scratch them each to reveal the code and take pictures of those cards and attach it to this email then send it to me here. Thank you.