Such a ‘Bler: VOLTA CIRQUE DU SOLEIL

Such a ‘Bler: VOLTA CIRQUE DU SOLEIL

One perk about being a summer intern at a performing arts company: performance comp tickets! And so I had brunch and saw the circus one Sunday. And I remembered.  

I am quite upfront with you all and do talk a lot about my brain. However, I don’t actually talk about how the introverted side of my brain peakabooed during my first two years of university (probably mainly because it scares me, but it did happen.) But it’s okay. Although (luckily) not everyone experiences it, it’s normal. And that’s why I am here to tell you about my experience and where I’m at as a rising junior. 

A fellow artistic intern and I went to see Volta – Cirque Du Soleil. I thought something was wrong with me or i was doing something wrong but the more I practice opening myself up again, the more I realize how much my environment affected my interests for interaction. But in those moments, I was surrounded by a kaleidoscope of spins and wonder. I witnessed passion and curiosity as those before me explored the infinite creativity found in the space around them, and the bravery of experimentation and taking a chance. Leap after leap, I felt my heart drum the walls of my fears down. 

Towards the show’s finale, I found myself watching the crowd more than the performers and I felt this warm buzz I adore. I remembered that: 
– I love it when a group of people come together for a specific purpose  
– I love it when people are excited, celebratory and supportive 
– I love people 

Being away from home, and in a new environment has both its ups and downs. I definitely found more ups but I will never deny that I was not always able to see all of the good parts of what university has to offer. And sometimes all it takes for you to remember is to go out and explore something new. That day I saw the circus live for the first time, and I realized that there was no use in just sitting with my sadness for too long. I need to take time for myself, but I also need to keep in mind that I am here to experience. And experience I will. 

Chicago is one of the best cities for your undergrad years. It has both the hustle of downtown streets and the quiet of a college town. And you never know where you’ll find what you’re looking for, or where you misplaced your inspiration. Sometimes it’s under a striped tent! 

HEY, I ALSO MAKE VIDEOS! 

HERE’S THE SUCH A ‘BLER PLAYLIST: