Such a ‘Bler: 2019 CHICAGO PRIDE PARADE

Such a ‘Bler: 2019 CHICAGO PRIDE PARADE

June was Pride month!

My roommates and our friends took to the streets of Boystown to celebrate! The space was flooded with colours, noise and well, pride. There was everything from a rainbow uniformed marching band to giant dancing (and kissing!!!) unicorn balloons. It was quite extraordinairy.  

Being from a country that doesn’t openly accept nor reject the LGBTQ+ Community, attending my very first Pride Parade was quite a big deal. Dressing up was super fun but it was mainly a meaningful experience because I was finally able to come support my friends as an ally!! I think it is important to do as much as we can to make others feel accepted, equal and at home in their own souls. But in order to do so, we must first be aware of some history and some dos and don’ts. 

Here’s a really great article that I think all allies should read: https://matadornetwork.com/life/dear-straight-allies-please-dont-come-pride-youve-understood-6-things/?fbclid=IwAR0Bo5PXT2NUELKB2xjJM_X3gnrrfF3IZnet5frVCqk1llYPZWcZHKv-yXE 

The first of the 6 points states that THE FIRST PRIDE PARADE WAS A POLICE RIOT, so that just prefaces how important this piece is for those looking to attend a Pride Parade or are seeking other ways to support the LGBTQ+ community. And if you have further questions, don’t be afraid to respectfully ask. 

The Chicago Pride parade is an annual event so don’t worry if you were unable to make it this time round! The event usually begins at noon and goes on for about 2 hours. People attend in colourful attire and even bring chairs and food to station themselves on sidewalks for the festivities. Those walking the parade also often give away accessories such as bead necklaces, merchandise that helps raise awareness and spread visibility for the LGBTQ+ community and ally organizations, and (if you’re lucky) candy! 

Here’s the link to next year’s Pride Parade: https://www.facebook.com/events/639343113200306/ 

Save the date and keep loving. 

*Oh, and the cute blonde in the first photo is my roommate Amanda. She has also started posting on the Undergraduate Admissions Blog as well, so give her scribbles a read!

HEY, I ALSO MAKE VIDEOS! 

HERE’S THE SUCH A ‘BLER PLAYLIST: