Defining the ‘Loyola Experience’

Defining the ‘Loyola Experience’

Spring break was last week and for the first time this semester, I was able to relax and reflect on my great Loyola journey and realize that my undergraduate years was coming to an end, faster than what I wanted. Working in the Undergraduate Admissions Office has allowed me to meet high school students and understand what it is like to be in their position and circumstance; it has taught me to be grateful of where I am and help guide others, especially those who are first-generation, low-income, and identify as a minority. For the last 3.5 years, Loyola has been my home and in this post, I hope to express why I love this university and why you should consider Loyola to be your future home as well.

____________________________________________________

This university welcomes you with open arms. If you compare to other universities (I have taken tours of other universities), Loyola stands out because we make our best to make you feel comfortable, satisfied, and hopefully leave you with questions now answered and you being more reassured. This comes from me, in a student worker perspective. Though there are people who think otherwise, there are some things to consider before making strong assumptions and impression. In this semester, I have witnessed a couple of things that I think needs to be addressed:

(1) You will not be spoon-fed everything. You have to actively look for the help and services you need. As an organization president, there’s only so much I can do to accommodate the needs and wants of the students; if students want something, they should speak their minds out and actively come up with ideas and plans to get something done. Similarly, students should physically visit offices/departments if they need help, join organizations if they want to be active in the community, and so on.

(2) You cannot meet the needs of everyone. Yes, you can have strikes and/or express concerns or complaints, however, there are reasons for the way things are done (regardless if we know it or not). Instead of making quick assumptions, take a deep breath and contemplate on what you plan to do, if it is worth doing, and think about what the end result will be. I know of a lot of people who do things before thinking about it, and often times, they have struggled to pick themselves back up.

(3) Academics are priority. The sole reason for any student, is to get an education and get a degree. Do not let other things steer you away from the thing that matters most – your grades.

I personally believe that I am lucky to go to Loyola, where there are many offices and services available to students. Not only that, but most of the faculty and staff are amicable and willing to listen to the students’ concerns whereas it may not be as accessible or approachable at other universities. Take advantage of what this school has to offer you and make the best out of it. This is YOUR time to make a difference and develop as a fine adult.

As I am finishing up my last semester, I look back and I realize that the ‘Loyola Experience’ our school brands, is only complete if you choose to reach out and take advantage of the clubs, offices, and more. Simply going to class and going back to your dorm/home is not going to allow you to mold into a ‘Rambler.’ You have to make an honest effort to understand the school and be a part of it.

I hope I was able to break down what the ‘Loyola Experience’ means to me and how you can benefit from this! 🙂

Here’s more info of the Loyola Experience, on our LUC website: https://www.luc.edu/loyolaexperience/year1/