Advice To My Past Self On College

Advice To My Past Self On College

If college doesn’t change you, I don’t know what will. In college, you will learn to grow in every aspect and realize your potential. Your identity will reveal itself stronger when you decided to do more things in the community and actively engage in programs and clubs. I can definitely tell you I have changed dramatically–for the better.

Here’s my advice to my past FRESHMAN self I wish someone would have told me:

_____________________________________________________

1. Take advantage of the FACT that most freshman (like 90%) don’t know others well, so go talk to them and build friendships! It is EASIER to make friends at this point in time. Don’t be so shy. This is your moment to rebrand yourself and show yourself off as a welcoming and amicable person!                                                       
  2. Stop stressing so much about “college classes”/”college atmosphere”. All the things you see in the movies and TV shows about college are a bit over-dramatized. Especially here at Loyola, you’ll feel welcomed and comfortable quickly. Your anxiety over the concept of finally being a college student is causing you to be TOO nervous thus limiting you from meeting others, participating in clubs, and ultimately having the Loyola experience.                                                                                       
  3. You are NOT that different. There ARE students who are like you and share similar characteristics and personalities. These people are not hard to find because if they are like you, you’ll find them in places where you will be at. People who share the same major or career path will most likely be people to associate around because they are like YOU in one way or another.                           
  4. Keep an open-mind. It is most likely that students will change their major after taking their 101 classes because they figure out that that subject isn’t their cup-of-tea. Though you think you may be set on a specific major, think again and really be open-minded.                                                 
  5. Medical school do not only look for students with Biology, Chemistry, Biochem, or Physics majors. No, no, no. Hard science majors are commendable, but med schools do not admit just these types of students. Just like Loyola, they are looking for students and their well-roundedness meaning hard science isn’t JUST the thing they want. As long as you complete your pre-health courses, you should be fine. YOU ARE FINE! 🙂