Rambler Experience: Making Commitments

Rambler Experience: Making Commitments

University is a time to develop yourself, to figure out what you want to do, and how you want to use your skills and talents in the real world. University is also a time to commit to your interests (clubs/organizations, Greek Life); commit to a program (major(s), minor(s), pre-professional program); and commit to being a Rambler! Along the way, you will make countless choices and decisions. Luckily, there are people here at Loyola who will help you along the way: your Academic Advisors, Faculty, and even your Peers.

May 1st: Decision Day

May 1st is the biggest day for seniors in my high school. On that special day, seniors wear their college t-shirt of where they are going and additionally post on social media, them wearing their university swag. By this date, seniors across the country formally declare that they are attending a certain institution. This is perhaps the step you are in right now. Maybe you made a list of pros and cons, you visited the school overnight, or attended an admitted student day. Regardless, this is a day to celebrate, you have decided where you are going to university for the next four years! (Hopefully it is Loyola!)

Committing to your Interests

Whether you were an all around student who was juggling many activities/organizations in high school or were the student who had fewer activities but took a leadership position with them, university is the chance to continue to pursue things that interest you and allow you to develop as a person as well. When I was in high school, I was highly involved in the music program. I played the bass trombone and was section leader of the wind ensemble, orchestra, jazz ensemble, musical pit, and marching band. On the side, I was a co-captain of the varsity scholastic bowl and danced Tinikling (a Filipino traditional dance) for my school’s ethnic fair.

When I was in university, I also knew that I wanted to be highly involved. Being one of the few minorities in my high school, I knew I wanted to be in Kapwa (the Filipino Student Organization), where I was able to become a Kuya (“Big Brother”) for first year students by acting as a mentor. Wanting to continue my musical interest, I continued to play bass trombone in Loyola’s Wind Ensemble. In addition, I developed my skills to become a Peer Advisor for the First and Second Year Advising office, helping first year students transition into the university. Likewise, I currently work in the Undergraduate Admissions office as a blogger and a social media specialist. Whatever you want to do, whatever skills you want to develop or expound, you will find something that will allow you to grow as an individual.

Academic Commitments

During your first two years at Loyola, you will be taking mostly core classes. Being a Jesuit institution, the school wants its students to gain a holistic approach to their education. Whether it be through philosophy, theology, the arts, ethics, and more. This allows students to have a basic understanding and have a taste of different fields and subjects that are not in their major. While you do not have formally declare your major until the end of your sophomore year, you can try some classes in majors that interest you and get your feet wet. Along the way you can find things that you add on as minors as well. Regardless, I believe that during your first two years, a spark will go off in your head, you will find something that you are passionate about and want to pursuit. For example, when I was starting college I initially wanted to be Pre-Med with a minor in psychology. However, after much thought and talk with my parents, I ‘switched’ my major to International Studies during my summer orientation before classes. Throughout the process, I had different minors that I thought I might want to pursue e.g. management, Spanish literature, anthropology. Yet, as my sophomore year is coming to close, I have determined what I was going to study, Advertising/Public Relations with minors in Marketing and International Studies. This decision was made through the help of my advisors, my faculty, and my parents.