What Loyola’s Motto Means to Me

What Loyola’s Motto Means to Me

For those of you who’ve either decided on attending Loyola for the coming Fall semester, or if you have been accepted, but haven’t made a decision yet, I want to talk about a motto you’ll see in most of Loyola’s buildings on campus.

If you’ve taken a tour on campus, you’ve likely either seen “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam” or “AMDG” within some of our buildings or on the art that we have around our campus. From Latin, that translates to “For the Greater Glory of God”. And while Loyola is a Jesuit University, and about 40% of our students do identify as Catholic, the school harbors so much more diversity among that.

Personally, I don’t identify with any religion. I’m agnostic, and religion has never been something I was very concerned about having as an essential part of my life. And with seeing the Society of Jesuit’s motto so often, it always seems to have a deeper meaning to me. Now that I’m almost done with my first two years here at Loyola, I can see the meaning of the motto come to life in more way than they are directed. Constantly, I always think about “For the Greater Glory of All Things” as a translation for the motto, as that speaks to me on a more personal level. There is a variety of core classes that Ramblers take through their time at Loyola, ranging from topics on environmental science, to history, to ethics, to literature and many other subjects in between. And while that can seem draining, after taking the classes, I realize their necessity now. In an attempt to making their students more well-rounded individuals, Loyola wants their students to be aware of the rest of the world around them.

Loyola takes pride in the strides its done thus far. We’re the 7th greenest campus in the nation, and the only urban campus in the top ten, Loyola was just named to produce the 14th largest amount of students for the Peace Corps from Medium-sized universities around the country, and some artifacts that we have on campus are reminiscent of the work that the school has done in the past.

Encouraging students to do volunteer projects, Loyola tries to ensure that their students are learning about the world, not just from the classroom, but apply their knowledge elsewhere. With the ability to go on Alternative Break Immersions for Spring break, Ramblers are able to go around the country and visit impoverished areas, from the South Side of Chicago, to East St. Louis, to the Appalachians in West Virginia, and not just help rebuild the communities, but learn from people living in those areas, and their outlook on their situation.

And if you support the fight for justice, you don’t have to look far to be a part of it all. Loyola offers volunteer programs everywhere for its students, but the fight can be much closer to home. In the two years I’ve been here, there have been a number of peaceful protests that I’ve witnessed and had been a part of, that range from a Black Lives Matter protest, to supporting marginalized peoples around the globe, including refugees from Syria.

Equality has always been a big part of my childhood. I grew up in a diverse area, and was witness to a number of people and cultures, and the struggles that many of them faced, no matter their race, class, or what have you. And I feel like Loyola shares similar values, ensuring that all of their students are accommodated for, including a Hall of Faith for its Muslim students, Jewish students, Hindu students, Protestant students, and other spaces for students to pray and meditate if they feel inclined to. It’s reassuring to me, knowing that I go to a school that cares so much about each individual, making sure that they feel safe and comfortable on campus. And through all of this, Loyola’s motto resonates among it all. Fighting to equality for all people, and caring about the world itself, truly for the greater glory of All Things.

So if you’re still considering Loyola, or you’re excited to arrive here, you have more to consider about Chicago’s Jesuit university. It was because of all of this I’ve fallen in love with my school, and I’m happy to call myself a Rambler. #GoBlers