Life at Loyola

Life at Loyola

Hello to anyone reading this! I’m Meredith Simmons and I’m a Freshman here at Loyola, this is my first post as a LUC admissions blogger so introductions are necessary. I am a marketing major and I grew up in Northwest Indiana about an hour outside the city. I love reading, music and exploring the city. I chose Loyola because I love Chicago and wanted to go to school in the city.

As we enter the second semester of the school year I want to reflect upon my first semester as a Loyola student, and really as a college student! It’s so hard to judge what life is going to be like as a college student. I think that everyone has a preconceived idea of what college will be. Some imagine the classic University from the movies, others imagine fast paced city living, for me I was really unsure of where I wanted to be after high school. I was torn between the fear of missing out on a “normal” college experience if I didn’t go to a big state school and the fear of missing out on the opportunities and excitement of living in the city. I found the perfect balance here at Loyola.

I didn’t know, of course, when I first applied to Loyola, that I would end up loving it as much as I now do (or even that I would end up a Loyola student at all). The decision was difficult, but Loyola became the best option for me. Though, I knew that I would be fine where ever I ended up, my decision to go to school in the city was the best decision I had made in a while. The first semester absolutely flew by, and I know everyone says that, but it’s true.

The adjustment to college classes took me a few weeks. I was truly scared that I wouldn’t adapt well to my new schedule, I think that’s a common fear for anyone starting college, but it didn’t take long for me to find the right balance of fun and work. Going into second semester I have already formed my study habits and found my favorite study spots. You can find me doing homework at Metropolis Coffee Co. or the second floor of Damen any weekend.

Overall I am very happy with my choice to come to Loyola. Everyday I find new reasons to be happy, whether it be with the amazing friends I’ve made or discovering new parts of the city. If you’re a senior in high school considering Loyola, I urge you to visit and take some time to get a feel for the amazing community and location that Loyola has to offer in addition to the phenomenal academic opportunities.

I can’t wait to continue sharing my journey as a Loyola student and am so grateful for the opportunity to write about it for you! See you next time!

-Mere