Loyola’s Phoenix Newspaper

Loyola’s Phoenix Newspaper

FullSizeRender

I am going to take the time to talk about the Loyola’s Phoenix Newspaper because come on, everyone reads it…right?  Well, honestly, I never read it religiously.  In fact, it took two whole years during my undergraduate career to actually get into the habit of reading it.  Now as a senior, I find myself reading it more and more.  What is the reason behind this?  Who knows!  Could it be nostalgia that I will never walk around campus, as an undergraduate, and snatching a newspaper from the stand, again?  Or could it be that different things interest me more now than before?

Nonetheless, I was reading this week’s newspaper on the train.  I was so intrigued by the front cover; I mean it is Rahm Emmanuel on the cover.  This reminded me of one of our most important rights: Freedom of Speech.  Many of the editors choose to talk about things that may be sensible to others, ut they still do it.  This makes me very proud that we are able to voice our opinions and bring up subjects that other schools would find “offensive.”  This really lets us practice our Freedom of Speech.

I remember picking up the newspaper for the first time and thinking that I was going to read sugarcoated stories.  Also, I thought that I would be reading a story about Loyola page after page.  In contrast, it provided essential topics that can be found in the news or in any other local newspaper.  The only difference is that the editors are our fellows Ramblers.  I find this inspiring, don’t you?  I believe that we are rising, and I am thankful that Loyola allows such topics to be discussed.  I believe that this is the only way to grow; perhaps, this is why I found myself picking up the newspaper more often.  Try it.  Perhaps you will agree, disagree, or laugh at some of the stories.  After all, you do not have anything to lose.  Let’s gain some insight together!