Advice to Consider

Advice to Consider

Everyone has their own study techniques and ways to understand material to prepare for an exam or quiz. When I first started off college, I thought I was going to be fine with the way I studied for things like I have done before in high school. I was a good student with good grades; if I was good then, I thought I should have been set for college. At most, memorization and familiarizing myself with the material was supple. As I began my first of college, I struggled because studying for exams and quizzes involved so much more. From unsatisfied scores, I had to change my study habits to college level. 
In college, class sizes are big; your relationship with the professor is not close unless you personally do something about it.  Make an appointment to see them during their office hours and ask questions on topics of confusion. You can sign up for small group tutoring or walk-ins at the tutoring center at Sullivan Center. I thought tutoring was for students who struggled a lot and needed considerable help- I was wrong. Tutoring is fantastic as it helps you understand the material better and ultimately helps you score higher on your exams and quizzes. Besides resources, find study areas that allow you to concentrate without any distractions. For me, small study areas in Mundelien , ISB, and the Den (in Damen) are places that are the most quiet. 
Altogether, as you enter college in the coming months or years, try to prepare yourself by finding effective ways to study from the very beginning rather than waiting for the moment when you find yourself struggling.