School of Communication and Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press Event

On Tuesday, my classmates from my media law class and myself attended a free media law workshop that was hosted by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) and the School of Communication. The workshop covered gaining access to court records and proceedings.

The RCFP has provided free legal advice, resources, support and advocacy to protect the First Amendment and Freedom of Information rights of journalists working in areas where U.S. law applies.

Representatives from the RCFP provided a folder full of vital information for journalists in regards to how to access public federal records and the Illinois reporter’s privilege. I will definitely keep this safe for future use.

It was really interesting and thought-provoking to hear what was shared at this workshop because not only does this help me remember what I have learned in my media law class, it shows that this will be of importance to me in my future career as a journalist.

In regards to that thought, I also think about how opportunities like these are so important for my development and perspective. The School of Communication has been very adamant in providing opportunities to have students and people in the field come together and have these conversations.