Election Reflection

Election Reflection

In the shadow of the presidential primaries, Loyola has been having its own elections. Earlier in the week, the Unified Student Government Association (USGA) held its spring elections, which, among other things, elected the student body president for next year.

LU wolf wanted everyone to vote!

To be honest, I don’t remember last year’s election. In fact, I don’t even think I voted.  However, this year, several of my fraternity brothers (the same fraternity that Tad often references) were running for various positions, so I had much more interest in what was going on.

As someone who would have ignored the elections if they weren’t brought to my immediate attention, I wasn’t surprised to learn that LUC has an extremely low percent of students that actually vote; in fact, only 30.1% of students voted.

It’s sad, but I also think it’s possible to change that number. For myself, once I decided to vote, I took a marked interest in how the elections were run – and was more than pleasantly surprised with what I found.

To make myself an educated voter, I read the candidate statements, watched the WTC and LSD debates and stalked USGAs webpage and twitter. It’s amazing, because I never realized how official and thoroughly our elections are run.

I was more than impressed, and I think if more students were exposed to this part of the elections, they would be too.

I hope that more students get a chance to see how great our election are, but in the meantime, congrats to Julia Poirier and Sarah McDowell!