Becoming a Real Person

Becoming a Real Person

As I’m sure you know, this previous weekend was Loyola Weekend, a two day event that gives admitted students a chance to explore the university.

When I was a senior in high school, I visited LUC, to learn more about the Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing and interview for the Presidential Achievement Scholarship, which I happened to later recieved.

As I swiftly approach the halfway mark of my college career, I recently thought about how much I’ve changed since I attended that weekend oh so long ago.

NBD, just being super cool on prom night

High school, as a whole, was pretty up and down for me, but senior year was completely amazing. Yes, I was taking five AP classes, and yes, applying for college was stressful, but it felt like my friends and I were livin’ the dream. At the same time, I was definitely naive about everything – real life, living on my own, how money worked, how to interact with strangers and the idea that it could even occasionally be dangerous to be out alone at night.

Pretty much a stereotypical picture from my freshman year*

My freshman year of college was wonderful. It was filled with plenty of new learning experiences and a lot of growing up. In high school, I always felt that a 4.0 GPA was more important than new experiences with my friends; that completely flip-flopped last year at Loyola.

I'm finally a real person!

This year has been a strugglefest. At the end of freshman year, I thought I understood how college worked. I quickly learned that I was sadly mistaken. However, this year has taught me how to be a function independently as a human being; I have a job now, I’m about to sign a lease on an apartment, I no longer have a mental breakdown every time I get a grade that is lower than an A and I partake in food groups other than “pizza” and “fries.”

When I look back on all that has changed in my life from two years ago, I’m astounded. I can’t imagine what I’ll think as a graduating senior when I look back on my sophomore self!

*My Asian friend (Sandy, from Unbeknownst to Me, My Friends are Actually Cats) she said that she didn’t find this picture offensive. If you are Asian and find it to be so, I’m sorry!