March Madness has begun at Loyola!

March Madness has begun at Loyola!

OK…we aren’t in the tournament. I get it. I have faith in the Ramblers for next year!

But, I have to tell what a great day this is on campus. It’s 77 and sunny and the lake is a beautiful clear blue-green color.

I just got back from a walk across the East Quad and over to Chipotle for lunch. If you are looking for a space on the lawn along the lake or outside the Information Commons or by the Norville Center…think again. Students, faculty, and staff are out everywhere enjoying the day. Frisbees are being thrown. Students are laying out on benches texting. Beach towels have taken the place of winter coats. Finally, spring is here.

At lunch, I ran into a number of people who had the same idea. Folks from Financial Aid or the Hub or even our Graduate Assistant who was making the most of his ‘off’ day. When I walked back through campus I noticed all the progress on the new Student Union and heard one student exclaim, “You know they are going to have a movie theater in there right?” She seemed happy about it. No one had a problem finding shorts, short-sleeve t-shirts, or my favorite, flip flops. It was nice to don the shades and just take a stroll.

As I was walking back to our admission office, I went by Cuneo Hall. A faculty member I had never met before started up a conversation with me about how he met the design engineer for the building earlier this week. He was thrilled to hear that this will be the most energy efficient building on campus until San Francisco Hall goes up, which apparently will do an even better job. Being Green is important around here.

I also chatted with a few students who were trying to decide if they could hang out a little longer outside. One student was thrilled saying he is from Georgia and loves this is his kind of weather. I can’t agree more.