Keeping up with Keala- Midterm, Pizza, the Bean

Keeping up with Keala
I can’t believe it’s already seven weeks into the semester! Time has honestly been flying. My first midterm was this past week and I tried Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria for the first time!

Midterm
My first midterm (in Civil Procedure) was this past week. Civil Procedure is a class that focuses on the federal rules of civil procedure, i.e. what to do when filing a lawsuit. The class is both interesting and useful, especially since I am interested in litigation. The midterm focused on subject matter jurisdiction (SMJ) and removal and remand. (Just a quick note: SMJ gives courts the power to hear a particular case, and removal and remand is when the case is moved from state to federal court and then either kept there or remanded (sent back to state court)). It lasted for one hour and consisted of eight multiple choice problems, a hypothetical fact pattern and two mystery statutes. The format of an exam is dependent on what professor you have. So, if you end up in Section 2, your midterm might look similar. The great thing about the midterm is that it is open notes and it is only a practice midterm; it does not count toward your final grade. Professor Ho (and many other 1L professors) give students an opportunity to gauge their study habits so that if a student does not get the result that he/she wants, he/she can change and alter what they are doing to prepare for each class.

Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria
Spoiler alert! If you want the best pizza you have ever tasted go to Lou Malnati’s and order the “Lou.” Before moving to Chicago, I was never much of a deep-dish person. Clearly, I was mistaken. There is nothing like a deep-dish and a coke to start off your weekend. The “Lou” has spinach mix, mushrooms and sliced roma tomatoes, and is covered with mozzarella and cheddar cheese, all on a garlic butter crust. Woah, I’m getting hungry just reminiscing about it. It was amazing, and I can’t wait to return and try something else! There is one located just several blocks north of the Loyola Law campus in Gold Coast. Give it a try, you won’t regret it!

Tourist for the Day
This past weekend, I was also able to visit the Bean. I can definitely see what all the hype is about; it is truly a masterpiece artwork. You are able to see the entire Chicago skyline in its reflection, and it is a perfect place to snap a selfie! Located in the Millennium Park, it is a Chicago must do!

Thanks for reading and look out for next week’s blog! I’ll be discussing what it’s like going through the law school application process, having done it already, and giving some tips to help you get through (successfully)!

Loxley

Loxley Keala is a 1L at Loyola University Chicago School of Law.  She is blogging about the journey of her first year of law school. To search all posts written by her search the Loxley category on the right hand side. Questions for Loxley? Email law-admissions@luc.edu with the subject “Ask Loxley” and she will make sure to answer them in a future post.

This entry was posted in Life at Loyola, Loxley, Student Life. Bookmark the permalink.