Amie B: Little India

Though it has been wonderful being back in the States and being able to spend so much time with my family and friends, I was really starting to miss Bangladeshi food! Fortunately, during orientation I met a friend who is Pakistani and surprise, surprise I brought up food. Though Bangladesh and Pakistan are two different countries with a complicated history, food from the subcontinent can be very similar. Since I have had food from India, Bangladesh, and Nepal, I was curious about how Pakistani food tasted.  He assured me it was just as good and that we should take a trip up to Little India so I could try it.

So this past weekend we finally went and we invited some of our Texan friends, Sarah and Mikee who have never even had Indian food. Chicago’s Little India is bit north of the city on W Devon Ave, primarily between California and Western Ave. Though it is called Little India, it is home to many cultures from the subcontinent so we were able to get authentic Pakistani food. According to Basim, two restaurants compete for the title of best food but Sabri Nihari  is currently the front-runner and that’s where we decided to have dinner. Sabri Nihari remodeled just last year and it was very beautiful inside.

Since Basim was our host, we asked him to pick out his favorite dishes: karahi gosht (goat meat with tomato based curry), chicken biryani (rice pilaf dish), frontier chicken (boneless chicken in tomatoes ginger/garlic sauce), and my favorite, daal palak (lentil spinach soup). Checkout the menu for some pictures and descriptions. It was fun to try different versions of my favorite foods and learn more about Pakistani culture. Sarah and Mikee really enjoyed the food too! Sarah, a self-described picky eater, loved the chicken and kept going back for more.

Sometimes I really miss my life in Bangladesh and going to a restaurant like this with a friend who also knows the culture is a way I can feel connected. We compared the few Bangla words I know to Urdu, discussed different mannerisms, and shared stories of our adventures.  It was a really fun way to spend the night with my new law school friends.

The gang getting dinner!

The gang getting dinner!

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B, Chicago Eats, Living in Chicago. Bookmark the permalink.