Amie B: Discover Chicago || Chocolate Tour

This week I went on a chocolate tour! I originally found out about the chocolate tour while having tea in a park when I saw a group walk by following a man with a sign that said, “Chocolate Tour.” Rushing to sign up, I discovered the average chocolate tour costs about $50, way too much for me to spend on chocolate samples. Naturally, I have been scouring Groupon and Living Social ever since.

Finally, I found a deal for more than 50% off. I purchased two and scheduled the date. The group met at the Wrigley Building on the Mag Mile by the river. We then embarked on our chocolate journey together.

First, we stopped at a downtown location of Glazed and Infused (see my previous post) . This time we tried a maple bacon doughnut. Amazing as it sounds.

glazed&infused-that day’s flavor of doughnuts: maple-bacon, fall sprinkles, crunchy peanut butter and jelly.

Next, we went to a shop called Vosges. This chocolate store features truffles infused with exotic flavors from around the world, such as curry or wasabi.

Samples of the different flavors of truffles at Vosges

After, we headed towards Water Tower, yes conveniently located by school, to try chocolate at Leonidas, which just celebrated its 100th birthday! I had this delicious almond and white chocolate square. But, I also found out they fly in dough from France and make fresh chocolate croissants everyday! This is where my next study break will be.

Leonidas chocolate shop

Leonidas chocolate shop

We took a quick walk over to Ghirardelli’s to get a chocolate square. I was a little disappointed by this for several reasons. One, originally we were supposed to go to Godiva, which is fancier. Two, Ghirardelli hands out free samples to customers all the time and I already go at least once a week (it’s right next to the law school). I was looking forward to trying something new.

Next stop was the Goddess and the Grocer, which gave us goody bags of cookies to go. The story is what makes this location. The owner began her career as a groupie for the Rolling Stones. Eventually, she began to cook and cater for them and other rock stars, even Madonna. She now owns and manages several upscale deli stores, such as the Goddess and the Grocer, as well as, several restaurants in the city.

Inside The Goddess and the Grocer

Inside The Goddess and the Grocer

Our trip ended at Moore cupcakes where we had a mini dark chocolate cupcake, filled with chocolate moose, and topped with edible 14-karat gold flex. Obviously that was awesome.

More Cupcakes with golden topping

More Cupcakes with golden topping

Overall, money well spent. Though I am glad I didn’t pay full price. The tour was advertised to take us to seven locations. When we showed up, they switched Godiva to Ghirardelli and eliminated this place that sold an Azteca chocolate drink that is supposed to be “a luxury worthy of the gods.” I was very disappointed to miss out on that goblet. However, can’t really beat an afternoon filled with chocolate, doughnuts, and cookies!

Questions for Amie? Email law-admissions [at] luc [dot] edu with the subject “Ask Amie” and she will make sure to answer them.

This entry was posted in 1L Life, Amie B, Chicago Eats, Living in Chicago. Bookmark the permalink.