A Brief Introduction

I am Prof. Benton. Dr. B to many. I am a professor in the Department of Marketing, and currently chair of the department. Until recently my primary teaching responsibilities included the research methods classes (undergraduate and graduate), but most know me for my other courses. I started teaching MARK 410 Business and the Environment in 1988, and taught it regularly—sometimes every quarter—until 2004. That is when I began teaching MGMT 443 Global Environmental Ethics, which I’ve taught once a year since.

I hail from Denver, Colorado. That is where I was born (as was my father and his mother before him). Colorado is where I am from despite having lived in the Chicago area for 30+ years. As the saying goes, “You can take the boy out of Colorado but you cannot take Colorado out of the boy.” As an undergraduate I attended the University of Arizona (Tucson), from which I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration, a major in marketing and a concentration in advertising. I then worked a few years before joining the United States Air Force, where I served six years as an officer. During that time I was stationed in Texas, Greece (the Island of Crete), and Arizona. I attended graduate school at Colorado State University (Ft. Collins), from which I graduated with an M.A. in Anthropology and, a few years later, a Ph.D. in Economics. I joined Loyola’s faculty in August 1980. If you ask me who I am I will tell you I am an anthropologically oriented economist plying my trade in the marketing department. That’s my identity. I might add that I have lead study abroad classes to Rome (many times for undergraduate business students), Greece (three times for graduate students in business), and London (one and a half times for graduate students in business).