Such a ‘Bler: Theatre Scenic Practicum Final: I Made A Miniature Drum Set!

I felt adventurous last semester and took THTR 312S or Theatre Practicum: Scenic Construction. In this course, we learn about the making of the stage, its setting and properties and the unmaking of them. Within the scene shop and Loyola’s two stages, we touched upon idea formulation, research, design, cut lists, scenic machines, tools, setting up, strikes etc. The experience overall consisted of a lot of hands on work but also very fundamental theories.

Feeling even more adventurous towards the end of the course, I embarked on the challenge of creating a miniature drum set for my final project. With this last piece, we were asked to create anything of our desire from scratch. This accumulated all we’ve learnt throughout the semester and buckets of imagination.

Here’s a closer look at my process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZx19CeXAg&t=4s

And here is the final product!

It is a lot more simplistic than my initial drawings, and definitely not as clean cut as ideal but, and as cheesy as it sounds, I really did learn so much while making it. A lot of trial and error, deconstruction and reconstruction and patience went into this little piece.

One month, 2 cuts and 1 burn later, my scribbles and scratches are a 10”x15” reality. I am proud and am ready to walk confidently towards new and even more challenging visions.