Such a ‘Bler: The Write Place | Ireland’s Poetry Open Mic

As of last semester, I am a Creative Writing Minor, and it’s been a while since I’ve read my poetry aloud. Since coming to Loyola, I’ve been in search for a space for poetry, spoken poetry to be specific. Diminuendo Literary & Arts Magazine and MeToo Monologues have filled parts of this desire, but not even Department of Programming’s (DOP) open mic nights has fully satisfied my need for creative expression. I’ve even been thinking of starting my own spoken poetry club.

A fellow Rambler shared this thirst, and like the senior (and Ireland’s Pub employee) he is, organized a poetry open mic! He reached out to Diminuendo’s presidents, and well, we got tagged along.

I was excited, very excited. Not only because I was the Magazine’s AD/PR Chair and this was an amazing promotion opportunity with the added bonus of it being so close to this semester’s launch event but because it was a spoken poet’s dream. I was so ready to meet my fellow creative writers!!!!

The evening was lovely. Poetry, puns and paninis. Ireland’s Pub is right in the Damen Student Center. It is cozy and also occasionally hosts music events (really good ones from my experience). I even read some of my poems. I felt home.

It’s nice to see Loyola’s Creative Writing students taken on more presence on campus with this event and the newly established Creative Writing Club (more on this later!) I’m hungry for more.

HEY, I ALSO MAKE VIDEOS!

HERE’S THE SUCH A ‘BLER PLAYLIST: