Explore Chicago CTA Edition

Explore Chicago CTA Edition

This is Loyola. Doors open on the left at Loyola. Welcome aboard the CTA Red Line. For this school year, 2017-2018, I want to take all of you on a journey on the CTA Red Line. For those of you not from Chicago or familiar with the CTA, I am going to give you a quick history of the Chicago Transit Authority, specifically, the Chicago “L”.

Fun Facts and Quick Statistics:

• The CTA system is the second busiest transit system and the fourth longest system in the United States. It is also the second oldest mass rapid transit system in North and South America, after the one in New York City.
  • The El itself is over 102.8 miles long with over 8 differently colored lines (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, and pink line trains) with over 145 stations
  • On a typical weekday (Monday-Friday), over 752,734 passengers ride on the El
  • The oldest part of the El system commenced service in 1892
  • The CTA’s Blue and Red line are two of the five lines in the United States that offer 24 hour services at all times
  • There are several ethnic neighborhoods that surround the El lines: Pilsen (Hispanic neighborhood), Argyle (Little Vietnam), Devon (a mix of Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, and Jewish neighborhoods) Chinatown, Ukrainian Village, Greek Town and more!

What do I need?:

• All you need is your Ventra Card (which operates through the academic school year) to scan into CTA El stations and CTA buses)

What Am I Going to do to Help You?:

• Every other week, starting on October 10th (next week), I will be taking you on a CTA trip up the Red Line. At each stop, I will share with you some popular restaurants, attractions, bookstores, boutiques, and so much more! Here is the stops that I will be taking during our trip:
  • October 10: Cermak-Chinatown
  • October 24: Jackson and State
  • November 7: Lake
  • November 28: Chicago and State
  • January 23: Fullerton
  • February 6: Belmont
  • February 20: Addison
  • March 13: Argyle
  • March 27: Granville
  • April 10: Morse
  • April 24: Howard

So welcome aboard the CTA Red Line and welcome to Chicago!