Best of Chicago: In Summer

Best of Chicago: In Summer

The weather is finally getting warmer. If you are like me, I bring out my Bermuda shorts, canvas shoes, and sandals from the depths of my closet. I pour myself a glass of freshly brewed sweet iced tea or cranberry kombucha in a Ball jar. Maybe, I am getting a little ahead of myself. Still, with less than two full of weeks of classes before summer vacation, it is a good idea to start planning what to do this summer. Whether you want to watch a movie in the park with your friends (or significant other); want to have a sampling of tasty Chicago food; or you want to watch Fireworks over Lake Michigan: Chicago has something for everyone to enjoy! So come on, grab your sunglasses, sunblock, and of course, adventure on your mind.

Taste of Chicago:

Considered to be one of the largest food fests in the world, the Taste of Chicago is a five day event from July 5-9 in Chicago’s Grant Park. Did I also mention that this a free event? All you need to do is pay for food that you want to try. With a view of Chicago’s Lake Michigan on the one, the skyline on the other side, and of course the iconic Buckingham Fountain; the food and the wonderful, Instagram worthy shots are well worth it! There is something for everyone with flavors that are traditional Chicago: Chicago style hot dogs, roast beef, deep dish pizza; or entirely ethnic: Greek, Polish, German, and more. Whatever flavor you crave, the Taste will provide. The annual event, is walking distance to both Millennium and Maggie Daley Parks. (https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/taste_of_chicago.html)

Millennium Park Movies:

Want to watch classic and new movies with your friends over a picnic? Throughout the summer, at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millennium Park, movies show on a weekly basis. Like the Taste of Chicago, the movies in the park is a free event, if you want to sit on the lawn. And, let’s be honest, what is a better feeling of having your feet on cool grass with a warm sun? You might wonder, how can I hear the movie if the screen is so far away? The Pavilion is a state of the art venue with speakers overhead throughout the lawn allowing viewers to experience true surround sound. For a full list of movies showing at the park this summer be sure to check the link for more information. (http://www.choosechicago.com/articles/view/millennium-park-summer-film-series/942/)

Navy Pier Fireworks:

From Memorial Day to Labor Day every year, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, Chicago’s Navy Pier puts a fireworks performance. With a bunch of different eateries (with a food court and numerous restaurants) and shops, this makes the Pier a wonderful place to relax and explore. Some highlights include, Chicago’s Shakespeare Theatre, Chicago’s Children Museum, an IMAX Theatre; just to name a few. This is a place for both friends and the whole family to enjoy! And, entrance is free (if you do not park at the Pier). (https://navypier.com/fireworks/)